Cyrus-IMAP Server Dead -- Any suggestions???

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:13:45 CEST 2007

Do you trust your hardware ? Memory, Harddisk ?

You should try to test the integrity of all your files...
First check cyrus :

# /kolab/bin/openpkg rpm -V imapd

and if nothing too wrong check all of them

# /kolab/bin/openpkg rpm -Va

Forget bs files, configuration files ... and look carefully about
binary and lib files

You can try strace, ann look for the last system call that failed

# strace /kolab/bin/cyrmaster -D

And finaly gdb is your friend, but here their is no symbols !

# gdb /kolab/bin/cyrmaster
(gdb) run -D
(gdb) where

But without symbols this is useless

and finally, keep a copy of /kolab in /kolab.save

reinstall kolab, configure it, test it , then move all your data from
/kolab.save into the new one.

Good luck

On 4/12/07, Webb, Paul <pwebb at webbenabled.com> wrote:

>  Webb, Paul wrote:
>  > When I read the message, I dont see anything that should prevent the
> server to start ! I have the same "error" too!
>
> I agree, and after setting the open file limit to 8192 as suggested and
> rebooting the system, I still see the same error, only now it indicates that
> it's trying the open file limit of 8192 instead of 1024! See?
>  Looks like I forgot to include the output -- here it is:
>
> Apr 12 15:18:12 postman <error> master[18142]: setrlimit: Unable to set file
> descriptors limit to -1: (1) Operation not permitted
>  Apr 12 15:18:12 postman <error> master[18142]: retrying with 8192 (current
> max)
>  Apr 12 15:18:12 postman <notice> master[18142]: process started
>  Apr 12 15:18:12 postman <debug> master[18143]: about to exec
> /kolab/bin/ctl_cyrusdb

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you