Cyrus-IMAP Server Dead -- Any suggestions???

Webb, Paul pwebb at webbenabled.com
Thu Apr 12 21:31:38 CEST 2007

Alain,

Thanks for the response! Here are some answers to your questions:

 > Did I upgrade anything in the system?

    Not intentionally. Anything is possible, but it would be awfully
    coincidental if something happened to cause imapd to dump at the
    same time I was on my IMAP migration extravaganza. As I said before,
    probably not my brightest move, but it took me 3 days to find an
    IMAP migration tool that didn't complain profusely at the fact that
    I was migrating off of Exchange, so when I found one that worked, I
    was a bit excited to get the migration done ... (Doh!)

 > Is SELinux active?

    No. SELinux isn't included in Ubuntu (thankfully!).

 > When I read the message, I dont see anything that should prevent the
server to start ! I have the same "error" too!

    I agree, and after setting the open file limit to 8192 as suggested
    and rebooting the system, I still see the same error, only now it
    indicates that it's trying the open file limit of 8192 instead of
    1024! See?

 > Have you tried:
 > # opa /kolab
 > # /kolab/bin/openpkg rc imapd stop
 > # /kolab/bin/cyrmaster -D

    Yes, and an error appeared! Here's the output:

        root at postman:~# opa /kolab
        root at postman:~# /kolab/bin/openpkg rc imapd stop
        OpenPKG: stop: imapdopenpkg:rc:NOTICE: /kolab:imapd:%stop:
        executing as user root
        openpkg:rc:NOTICE: /kolab:imapd:%stop: succeeded with return code 0
        openpkg:rc:NOTICE: output from stdout/stderr is following:
        | OpenPKG: status: imapdopenpkg:rc:NOTICE: /kolab:imapd:%status:
        succeeded with return code 0
        | openpkg:rc:NOTICE: output from stdout/stderr is following:

        | | imapd_enable="yes"
        | | imapd_usable="unknown"
        | | imapd_active="no"
        | | /tmp/rc-20070412151744-18066/rc.tmp: line 190: kill: (12456)
        - No such process

        | .
        | /kolab/etc/rc.func: line 179: openpkg:rc:NOTICE:: command not
        found
        | /tmp/rc-20070412151743-17996/rc.tmp: line 190: kill: (12456) -
        No such process
        .
        root at postman:~# /kolab/bin/cyrmaster -D

        Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    Now, usually speaking, when i see "Segmentation fault (core
    dumped)", good thoughts don't come to mind. Any ideas?

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions and help!
--
Paul Webb
WebbEnabled Solutions, LLC