Better (easier) way to install kolab on Fedora Core Systems??

Richard Bos richard at radoeka.nl
Wed Sep 20 20:15:57 CEST 2006

Op woensdag 20 september 2006 12:59, schreef Wolfgang Schleicher:
> Meanwhile, I also read some posts in the kolab developer mailling lists as
> there seems to be a discussion about getting rid of the openpkg addiction.

This is not true.  The Kolab Konsortium (KK) will continue to distribute Kolab
using openpkg, as they are able to support each and every distribution
(including solaris) without the need to build and test kolab on all those
distribution.  From their point of view that is a good approach, but it
appearantly does not with your pov.

> Also in your kolab/opensuse link the author is complaining about the
> openpkg dependencies and its disadvantages [Some facts].

That's me, but I understand the KK approach.  For me the openpkg release is
just another distribution.  This is possible now, as kolab is built with
autoconf.  It shouldn't be difficult to get kolab build natively on Fedora,
but someone from the Fedora community should do it.!

> Maybe the kolab developers should release future releases as tarballs, -
> btw, that's what's also done with the non-commercial version of
> open-xchange.

See above.  It's btw the easy (euh not too difficult) to obtain tarbals.
Check out the cvs version and execute configure and make.

> If the kolab team cannot provide ready built packages for different
> distributions, than just building from tarballs seems to me more
> successfully than dealing with the openpkg part.

This is a good proposal anyway.  Perhaps you can make this a with in kolab's
tracker? https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/

> Sorry, but turning away from a interesting software product because of
> massive installations problems (failures) is of course not in the
> developers' interests.

:( Perhaps you can work on the Fedora version?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless