Better (easier) way to install kolab on Fedora Core Systems??

Wolfgang Schleicher wolfgang_schleicher at web.de
Wed Sep 20 10:07:42 CEST 2006

Hi,

concerning the official kolab screenshots, Kolab seems to be an interesting alternative to open-xchange without its pseudo ms exchange attributes.

IŽve tested current open-xchange and IŽm not satisifed with that kind of open source groupware (missing samba integration, missing admin webfronted, poor email frontend, ...) Nevertheless, I like the attempt to set up a groupware on open source standard components.

Unfortunately, I`ve no luck trying to install kolab server (2.04, 2.1beta2) on a fedora core 5/6test system.

Is it possible to integrate kolab in a already running ldap environment (samba pdc) or can kolab only be set up on a fresh (debian or whatever) based openpkg system???

I donŽt see the advantage of packaging kolab with openpkg. Still after a few days I`m unable to install openpkg on my fedora system.

Additionally, I donŽt like the idea to setup kolab on a dedicated (maybe xen based) system only to fullfill kolabŽs rpm versions. Does kolab really need special rpms that are already installed during basic linux (fedora) installations?

So, why is the installation that COMPLICATED, just PREVENTING more users (others than debian?) to install kolab on more
different linux distributions to make kolab more popular?

Today the german kolab forum (www.eforum.de) has been closed, but even there I found no final solution to my problems.

Has anybody a link to prebuild rpms for current fedora versions, or maybe a working howto?

Any help is appreciated

Regards
Wolfgang