creating groups

Torsten Irländer torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
Fri May 26 15:44:21 CEST 2006

On Friday, 26. May 2006 11:09, Andrea Fino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experimenting with account of type groups. I did not really
> understood how are added users to group, and why a group account has a
> password, and delegation...

Yes this is a littlebit confusing, but the servers point of view it does not
differ between a group, user or ressource account.
The meaning of these accounts is what you make of it :)

So how to put users into a group?
First you need to set each member as a delegate of this group, so the members
are allowed to send mail in the name of the group. In the second step you
need to share your groupwarefolders (calendar, contacts etc.) among the
members of the group. At last configure a invitations policy and then (in
most cases) you will only need your password for administrational tasks.

And yes you could have done all of this by using a normal user account. I
assume that this separation has been made because it is more easy for an
administrator to differ between these accounts. At least that is what I have
understood regarding to group accounts.

best regards,
Torsten

--
Torsten Irländer                                    Intevation GmbH

torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/