kolabd package available in Debian sid

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed May 10 19:42:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I would like to get Tobias König into the loop, I don't know if he's
subscribed to the kolab-users mailing list. He has fixed many Kolab
related bugs recently and probably knows the ins and outs of Horde's
Kolab support much better than me.

Zitat von Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> Richard,
>
> On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 03:33:59PM +0200, Richard Bos wrote:
>> > The estimation of many developers is that Horde is probably very hard to
>> > fix because of design problems. Fixing Horde or using different components
>> > will be a lot of work.
>
>> is it possible for you to point out the problems that you see with
>> respect to
>> horde working together with kolab?  Looking at the bug reports in the horde
>> bugdb (http://bugs.horde.org/ fill in 'kolab' in the summary field), there
>> aren't too many issue's.  Especially not design issue's...
>
> I have had several developers that have deeply looked into the code say
> that they cannot bring Horde as Kolab Client into a stable,
> maintainable state.

I doubt that, as Tobias' work has proved.

> It supposetly is more inexpensive to write a new webclient.
> I have not a detailed list of technical reasons and it probably
> would be a major piece of work to produce them.

It's hard to discuss technical problems without having details, but
let's start with what we have:

> What my understanding of the design problems is:
>
> 	a) the use of the database versus Kolab's design of imap folders.
>            It will create almost unsolvable sync issues and hurt stability.
>            And if the code is spread throughout
>            Horde, this will be hard to change.

Horde does not have an inherent database driven design. Quite the
contrary, it has a driver based design. This made it possible to write
Kolab drivers for the several applications so quickly. There is this
DataTree thingy that still causes a lot of headaches because it's the
last remaining database dependency in Horde, but solutions for this
problem have already been discussed in the past.

> 	b) Horde needs higher privileges. This is in contrast
> 	   to the Kolab-Webinterface that only works with the
>            priviledges of one user. If true, this would hurt the security.
>            Note that database application are often designed this way,
> 	   Kolab can do differently which is a plus.

I'm not sure if this is true, and I'm wondering if this is really a
general design issue in that case. I guess it could be solved.

I'm not trying to sell anything, but I really doubt that it makes any
sense to write a custom web frontend for Kolab, even if it ties much
better into the server. Horde already provides all features that the
Kolab server offers, without installing a Kolab server. I would be
insane to start from scratch instead of ironing the few remaining
wrinkles out.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/