Outlook Connector comparison (in German)

Giovanni Baroni baroni at datacomm.ch
Wed Mar 29 15:40:11 CEST 2006

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> Am Donnerstag, 16. März 2006 16:44 schrieb Giovanni Baroni:
>
>> Maybe someone can grab here some Information in evaluating a Connector
>> für Outlook and Kolab Server.
>>
>> http://activmedia.ch/groupware6.php
>>

> You write that
> Konsec is a "real" MAPI storage provider doing all works directly on the
> server
> and Toltec is a plugin doing work on sync time.
> From it you conclude that Konsec has the more "professional" approach.
>
> Doing a work all the time in the background and at a sync time
> has some minor advantages and disadvantages. One is certianly not more
> professional as the other.

Hi Bernhard

I personally think it's more complex to write an Real-Mapi-Storage
solution than to write a syncplugin. But it hasn't to be the better
solution.

http://www.linux-discount.de/Store/gw99/GW99-140-ML/de?view=features

Toltec's solution has to sync the whole imap folder, where Konsec deals
just with the changes.
With Toltec you've to sync the folders in some cases manually bevore you
leave outlook (to be sure that changes are updated on the imap store).

If i work with both connectors in Outlook (reading mails, changing
Folders, edititing Contacts and....) the same procedure ... toltec
consumes more bandwidth than konsec.
As only this was very important for the test....-> there's no real
comparation of features, stability and ...

I also prefer and use personally the toltec solution, cause it works
stable and without problems. But the Konsec Konnektor sounds to be very
an interesting solution.