MySQL installs okay but won't start.

Chuck Dand chuckd at kooked.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 14:24:27 CEST 2006

I was hoping to install Horde on Kolab so that I could get an idea of how complete it is. I realise there are varying opinions on whether to use Horde or not and how stable it is but I just want to see what it's like for myself.

I have installed a fresh Kolab system onto a new machine. In the install I included mysql in the obmtool.conf file and downloaded the mysql source RPM (mysql-4.1.14-2.5.0.src.rpm) from the openpkg ftp site. I noticed that the version mentioned in the documentation is no longer available so hoped this version of MySQL would work.

The build and install ran fine, and Kolab starts without any bother. However MySQL won't start. I was wondering if this is maybe a problem with having used a newer version of the openpkg mysql RPM.

Anyway, any suggestions as to how to get MySQL up and running would be appreciated.

Oh BTW, it's a gentoo box I'm installing this all on, but I'm not doing it by means of the Gentoo portage, it's all by openpkg.

060731 13:41:42  mysqld started
060731 13:41:42 [Warning] Can't create test file /kolab/var/testbox3.lower-test
060731 13:41:42 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
060731 13:41:42  mysqld ended

I have ran /kolab/bin/mysql_install_db, without any errors, however when I try to change the root password it won't let me since mysql isn't running. /kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.mysql start doesn't want to start mysql, and explicitly running /kolab/bin/mysqld_safe fails with

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /kolab/var
STOPPING server from pid file /kolab/var/testbox3.pid
060731 14:20:40  mysqld ended

Importantly I noticed that the pid file on the second line is not what I would have expected since I thought the pid file should be /kolab/var/mysql/mysqld.pid

Anyway, I'm just confused, anyone got any ideas?

--
Chuck Dand