[OT?] Easy-to-use archiving mail in kontact?

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Thu Jul 13 11:38:44 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:23:27AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> [KMail] always adds a folders= entry. Starting with KDE 3.5 (or 3.4 ?) the
> standard location was changed from ~/Mail to
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
> Two reasons for this change were:
> - Some users did apparently delete ~/Mail because they didn't know why
> it's there. Hiding the mail storage hopefully prevent users from doing
> so.

<sigh> :-}

> - The new path should make it much clearer that the mail storage must
> not be accessed by any other applications than KMail.

That's precisely what annoys me - I for example have mutt and KMail
(proko2) running in parallel for more than a year now. Both of them are
open all the time - and the only problem I ever encountered was that mutt
didn't detect new mails because kmail got there first. No biggy. kmail
will never reach the speed and ease-of-use mutt has, but I need it for its
agenda functionality, hence the duo. But I'm the first to admit that I'm
not a "standard user".
Also, I never quite understood why each and every mail program seemingly
needs its own format and own extension of mbox/mdir, making switching ever
so difficult. But that's another discussion that doesn't belong here...
;-)

[...]
> > Is my understanding of this correct?
>
> Yes.

Great, thanks. I'll build my tool to look for "folders=", then, and assume
"~/Mail" if none is found.

Regards,

Thomas