[OT?] Easy-to-use archiving mail in kontact?

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Thu Jul 13 10:17:10 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 03:26:51PM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Exporting single folders as mbox is possible by selecting all messages
> in a folder and then saving them, i.e. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S.

Ah, that helps, thanks. I'm still pondering writing a little tool using
perl+kdialog, though - that tool could write a complete folder (including
subfolders) to CD-ROM and also restore it. That should help most users
here immensely. In conjunction with that I'm wondering about something:

kontact from KDE 3.5 as supplied by SuSE seems to store the "Local
Folders" somewhere in ~/.kde, but detects the presence of ~/Mail and uses
it. In that case, it adds a "folders=" entry to "[General]" in kmailrc.

The proko2 client (which, as far as I understand it, is older) does no
such thing - as far as I can see, it always uses ~/Mail for "Local
Folders" (which is my preference anyway - I don't like hiding the local
folders somewhere in ~/.kde).

Is my understanding of this correct?

Cheerio,

Thomas