[OT?] Easy-to-use archiving mail in kontact?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 15:26:51 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 11. Juli 2006 14:56 schrieb Torsten Irländer:
> On Monday, 10. July 2006 15:45, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> > The problem: We want to give our users the possibility to archive
> > their mails to a CD-ROM, so they can clean up their IMAP accounts
> > from time to time, thus saving space on the server.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy option to do so in
> > kontact - e.g. you cannot simply drag'n'drop a mailfolder into k3b
> > to burn it on a CD-ROM. Hence, my question: Has anybody out there
> > solved this problem and devised a method for users to easily get
> > their mails archived on a CD
>
> Hi,
> I'm sorry but I also don't know an easy "one-click" solution for your
> problem. But I appreciate very much an "export/import" function for
> mails in the same way we know it for addresses or events. Maybe we
> should discuss this here or on the devel list or simply open an issue
> for this in the tracker.
>
> The only options I can imagine at the moment are:
>
> 1. Copying the mails by hand into a local Foder under ~/Mail and burn
> this folder in a second step. This could be done by most users but
> might be unpractical if you have large folder structures.
>
> 2. Burn Mailfolders found in .kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap ... I think
> would be the most easy way... if the user understand how folder are
> organized here. Ok I think in most cases this is no option.
>
> Reimporting archived mails is done in the oposite way and should be
> no problem.
>
> However, I think an import and export function using mbox would be
> great.

Exporting single folders as mbox is possible by selecting all messages
in a folder and then saving them, i.e. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S.

Using archived folders from CD-ROM directly is not possible because
KMail tries to open all mbox files and messages files (for maildir) in
read-write mode. Obviously, this doesn't work for files stored on a
CD-ROM. We'll make sure that this will be possible with Akonadi in
KDE4.

Regards,
Ingo