IMAP replication

Kevin Baker kevbaker at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 17:56:47 CET 2006

We are setting up two options this week for testing.

1) IMAPsync - Basically we are setting up a monitor that
will review logs for "active" mail accounts. These will use
imapsync to sync with the remote server. Only accounts that
have been touched since last sync will be syncronized. This
should allow us to have somewhat realtime backups. The down
side is that it requires that we have plain text passwords
for all accounts.

2) Backup/restore - The other option we are testing is a
standard backup and restore. Basically we will run a
process, again only on active accounts, that will rysnc
messages to the remote machine. Once messages are
transfered a reconstruct will be run on that account.

3) DBMail - The last option we are exploring is dbmail. If
we cann't get the above working, we will be dropping Cyrus
in favor of DBMail.org server. This uses a Mysql database
for a mailstore. Hot backups are as simple as setting up
MySql replication. This would of course require a migration
which we would like to avoid.

So again not "real-time" but early test look like we will
have all mailboxes within 2 minutes or so and can have the
"hot backup" machine live within a couple minutes.

Both will use LDAP replication for the directory.

I have been interested in the DRDB setup for some time
now... but haven't heard of anyone with it live. Do you
have a process for this you could share?

- Kevin

--- "Mgr. Antonín Chadima" <antonin at chadima.jcu.cz> wrote:

> Dne støeda 25 leden 2006 13:36 Bernhard Reiter napsal(a):
> > Am Dienstag, 24. Januar 2006 22:12 schrieb Mgr. Antonín
> Chadima:
> > > use  IMAP proxy and/or DRBD from heart beat
> >
> > Note that Martin recommends to not use DRDB
>
> DiRect Block Device -> DRBD
>
> and is working for me

Kevin Baker
Mission Vi Inc.