Install kolab on a vserver?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jan 23 10:55:47 CET 2006

Am Sonntag, 15. Januar 2006 11:43 schrieb Christian Anton:
> Am Samstag, 14. Januar 2006 20:24 schrieb Alex Chejlyk:
> > I have debian/kolab installed as a vmware client. The host OS is
> > Mandrake. Very stable, never had stability or performance issues, small
> > lan, 20 users. I did dedicate an ethernet adapter for the vm.
>
> yes, on vmware there may be no problem, as vmware is an emulator of
> complete pc hardware, so the vmware'd linux runs with own kernel, own tcp
> stack and so on...
> But there are some problems with vmware for me:
> - needs X
> - is commercial software

Note that Kolab also is commercial software, despite
that it is Free Software.
It was build by professionals for money, it has a high quality
and you can buy support for it.

> - needs plenty of performance
>
> This is why i try to get it to run on a vserver.

What kind of vserver are you using?
Linux VServer? XEN?
I guess it should be possible to emulate a lo interface
in a viturtual server, so this might be a shortcoming of the vserver
you are using.  It is true that Kolab Server currently depends on a local
interface for privacy reasons a lot, there is a long standing wish in
the tracker to make this more configurable.
However we did not get around doing it, as we mainly work
on the common case first.

You are invited to help us to make this more configurable.
I suggest you could probably try with the latest snapshots
and see what you need to change.

Bernhard