utilizing external mail facilities from kolab server

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 5 12:29:05 CET 2006

Hi Realos,

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 16:03 schrieb Realos:
> I have successfully installed kolab server at our department but have
> some questions about dealing with an existing mail server.

btw: It always helps to say which version of Kolab Server you have
installed.

> mail server: mail.dep.company.com
> mail domain: dep.company.com
>
> kolab server: kolab.dep.company.com
> mail domain in kolab: kolab.dep.company.com
>
> In kolab, I have set mail server (dep.company.com) as a relay host for all
> outgoing emails. This works fine but has a big drawback with all users
> ending up with two email addresses:
>
> 1) user at dep.company.com
> and 2) user at kolab.dep.company.com
>
> Since we already have a working mail server in our domain, can't we
> configure kolab to utilize facilities of that mail server instead of
> introducing it's own mail services?

You can, this is a typical consultant task to find a good solution for you.
Most of the time when our of our KK consultants sets up a Kolab Server
is spend finding and explaining a good email setup.
Especially for test settings and soft migration.
Every time it is a bit different because of the surrounding circumstances,
so it is hard to write a generic documentation for it, except what is there
already.
In you case I suggest to take a look at:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/raw-howtos/email-split-setup.txt

> Question2) We only need calender facilities of a groupware server, like
> managing shared ressources, meetings planning etc. Can I use kolab
> calender features without it's mailing facilites  and the other mail
> server for all emails. How?

The calender features usually involve sending and receiving email with
iCalendar information inside, so it usually should be connected to an email
system. Of course you can run both email systems (other one and the one of
the Kolab Server). Usually it is best to integrate them , though.

Bernhard