PDF attachments malformed

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Mon Feb 27 22:00:42 CET 2006

Hi :

I have a very puzzling problem for one of our clients.  We have several
clients with kolab installations, and they are the only ones with this issue.

They have large amounts of files scanned into PDFs.  Some of them quite large.
(several MB in size).  The PDF is fine on the local desktops.  They can send
the files as attachments to external addresses (like me), and they come
through without problems.

When they send the PDF to someone internally (account on the same server), or
if I send the same PDF back to them.  The PDF is malformed.  There are errors
when opening the file.  Data is missing, and pages are just cut off mid way
through.

We did some testing, and this happens with, and without the mail scanning
enabled, so I am sure it is not an amavis/clamav/spamassassin problem.  It
seems to only be a problem when the PDF is an attachment that is delivered
locally.

I am wondering if this could be a problem with the kolabmailboxfilter (lmtp)
transfer.  I have just started looking into that area, and before I go ahead
any further I wanted to ask if this seems like the right direction?

This almost seems like a write buffer problem when transferring the mail to
the mailbox doesn't it?

It seems that it happens with larger file sizes, and not very small
attachments.  I don't know what the size barrier for error is.  That could
probably provide some help.

Does anyone have suggestions to help diagnose the problem?

Andy