Hardware recommendations

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Wed Aug 16 01:49:54 CEST 2006

Hi Lars,

> I've got a question concerning the hardware requirements for dealing with
> about 40 users. I've got an old PII 400 Mhz dual cpu server, which I would
> like to use for that purpose. Has someone else Kolab running on such an old
> server?
>
> I hope someone can give me an advice. Any answer is appreciated.

In my eyes, the processing capabilities are fine for 40 users. I'd plug in a
little more memory, since the processing is not the bottleneck but the
memory. Your 40 users won't access the machine at the same time.

If there are no other jobs, 512 MB should be fine first of all. Consider if
you can leave one memory bank free so that you can still upgrade.

Don't install an x-server, it consumes memory like hell. You don't need it
since Kolab administration is done through the web interface...

Regards
Markus