howto make catchall mailbox using kolab addressbook: bug or feature ?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:24:13 CEST 2006

Hello

I defined the following entries in my kolab address book

mail: catchall+domain1 at mydomain.com
alias: @domain1.com

another entries

mail: catchall+domain2 at mydomain.com
alias: @domain2.com

the first entry make every email for "@domain1.com"  going to subfolder
domain1 in mailbox catchall at mydomain.com
(dont forget to create mailbox catchall at mydomain.com, create subfolder
domain1 and give access "p anyone" to the folder)
The second one do the same for domain2

FYI  '+'  is and email extended notation, that is used by cyrusimap to
deliver email into a subfolder. This is called "plus addressing"

I don't know if someone thought about that before me or if I am the first
one  :-)

I first setup a more standard catchall using
/kolab/etc/kolab/templates/virtual.template
entries:
(dont forget the /kolab/sbin/kolabconf to regenerate config files after
modifying templates)

> @mydomain.com catchall at mydomain.com
> foo at mydomain.com catchall+foo at mydomain.com
> bar at mydomain.com catchall+bar at mydomain.com

to redirect everything @ mydomain.com into mailbox catchall and some email
directly into subfolder :-)
I got the idea to try to move

> foo at mydomain.com catchall+foo at mydomain.com
> bar at mydomain.com catchall+bar at mydomain.com

into the addressbook to make these entries easier to manage, and not always
edit the virtual.template file.
It was working
Finally I moved  the "catchall" into the addressbook

>@ mydomain.com catchall+unexistingfolder at mydomain.com

The only drawback I saw, is because I cannot define another "mail" or
"alias" catchall at mydomain.com inside the ldap database to keep unicity, I
cannot redirect emails into catchall mailbox and must use the plus
addressing and then make the delivery into a subfolder.
BUT if the subfolder dont exist the mail will go to parent folder, this is
why I use unexistingfolder

Is-it a bug or a feature ?

I dont thing this is a good idea to put "system" mapping into the address
book. This is useless for the end user.
BUT I have this feature and want to keep it !!!

I good idea to separate system mapping entries from normal addressbook
entries is to add a ldap field for normal address book entries and add this
field as a selector inside ldapvirtual.cf file.

Maybe this could be also a security hole ? And modifying the ldap filter to
only use entries of class kolabInetOrgPerson resolve it.

And how does kolabgui and kolabd react when they meet mail of the form "
catchall+unexistingfolder at asxnet.loc" does it try create a cyrus mailbox for
catchall+unexistingfolder ? Is-it smart and just try to create a catchall
mailbox ? Or does this case was not thought before ?

Any comment ?

Hope this will give people some idea and help other to have a better
understanding of ldap, postfix and cyrus capabilities.

Best regards

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com