Kolab compared to plain Cyrus

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Aug 2 11:19:21 CEST 2006

* Alex Chejlyk <alex at swiftnetcomputers.biz> [20060801 14:35]:
> Michael Pasdziernik wrote:
> > As I understand both Toltec and Kontact can use plain cyrus for pim, what
> > features are are available only by kolab?
>
> Cyrus is part of Kolab. It is not a valid comparison as Kolab has
> anti-virus, anti-spam, ldap, sieve, postfix, apache, webdav, and a web
> interface for administration.

Additionally the Kolab server generates free/busy lists for you and
can handle automatic accepting or rejecting of invitations (useful
for resource accounts like meeting rooms, mobile hardware and such).

And Kolab is preconfigured to give you a secure environment where
you can be sure that a mail appearing to be from the local domain
really is from the local domain _and_ nobody inside this domain can
fake the address of others, unless they are configured as a delegate
for this account or unless you disable this feature via the web
interface.

If you use the OpenPKG based installation, installing a working mail
server is very easy, even if you want/need a multi-server setup.

Thomas

Email: thomas at intevation.de
http://intevation.de/~thomas/