Languages don't work

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Apr 12 14:33:34 CEST 2006

* Jakob Boos <jakob.boos at freenet.de> [20060412 09:33]:
> Am Dienstag 11 April 2006 20:21 schrieb Giovanni Baroni:
> > Jakob Boos schrieb:
> > > I installed Kolab server v2.0.3. I would like to switch the admin
> > > interface to german but this doesn't work. In the support forum I found
> > > one entry from August 2005 describing the same problem but without any
> > > answer. What went wrong during installation and setup?
> >
> > Maybe this problem depends on your default locales of your linuxdistro.
> > Try to change your locales to de_de iso-8859-1
>
> Sorry, that makes no sense for me. The language should be a choice
> of the user of the admin interface and not of the locale setting
> of the server.

Correct, but Giovanni's hint already points in the right direction:
You need the selected locales available on your system.

On Debian you can use 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', there are other
ways on other systems. The generic way would be to edit
/etc/locale.gen and then run locale-gen as root.

For German translations to work you probably need "de_DE ISO-8859-1",
if I remember correctly "de_DE at euro ISO-8859-15" alone doesn't
suffice.

Thomas

Email: thomas at intevation.de
http://intevation.de/~thomas/