personal opinion.....

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sat Oct 29 00:26:53 CEST 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 4:52 PM, Martin Konold wrote:

> Yes, you can apply our patches to the stock source code. Actually
> we put very
> significant effort in making these as easy as possible. We even
> seperated the
> Kolab patches from the stock OpenPKG rpms in every respect.

Actually, what I meant was running the stock source code without any
patches required, or doing whatever it takes to accomplish what I'm
attempting to describe (see below).

>> My problem is not with the format as much as it is conflicting with
>> my existing services I count on.
>>

> Can you please more specific?

Sure!

I run FreeBSD, and before discovering Kolab I was already running
Apache, LDAP, and most of the other services required by Kolab. These
services were built from the FreeBSD ports, and I appreciate being
able to update each port individually at my leisure, and I appreciate
the portupgrade script notifying me when it is time to upgrade.

I don't want to tear down my existing services and rebuild them with
Kolab. I want to still control the upgrades of these ports through
FreeBSD ports. I want to drop Kolab into my existing infrastructure.

Joe Auty
NetMusician: helping musicians exploit new communication mediums
http://www.netmusician.org
joe at netmusician.org