personal opinion.....

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Fri Oct 28 00:42:58 CEST 2005

Hi Richard and all,

> I hope you realize that efforts are under way to get kolab ported from
> openpkg to what you discribe above.  See,
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_linux_distribution_integration
>
> The only thing that you can do to speed this up, is by helping.  What
> distribution do you use?  But than again, at this moment not much can
> be done, as everything has been set in motion to complete the port.
> This does not include distro integration, that's up to you.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really love the kolab approach. Otherwise I
would not have fought through all the betas and I would not have set up a
number of "hot" and operational systems, including for myself.

I use Debian, and friends and I would really like to help. We have had a
number of discussions on how we could make maintainable debian packages out
of the current system which would be suited for integration in a regular
debian system.

Friends and I also thought about writing a book on Kolab and we already had a
contract from a publishing house on our table, but we hesitated because of
the small chances that kolab will become THE most widely deployed groupware
server. We have a considerable collection of topics, but that really made us
stop for a while.

I also see another drawback: There needs to be a CRM integration, possibly
with a system such as lxoffice. Interestingly, they also have a groupware,
which uses more or less exactly the same components as kolab. Of course, the
groupware functions are far from being so good as those in kolab. But I
really have some pain in my stomack when I see that everybody invents the
wheel again and again, and the projects fail to cooperate....

But great to see the progress...!

Best wishes,
Markus