connect directly to Exchange (2003)

Lasse Riis lists at lasseriis.dk
Wed Nov 30 14:27:37 CET 2005

Hi

At my new job I need to access the Exchange server for retrieval of not
only mail, but also task-lists (of other users as well). (Cal. and so
forth is not important to me)

However GNU/Linux is not the best env for MS Outlook to run in :)

So the first thing I tried was Evolution, as this seems to be the
designated Outlookkiller of FOSS (I never understood why though). But
alas, it seems Evolution accesses Exchange using the web-interface and
then parses the HTML(this sounds insane, but may be the only way to do
it?). However, this particular exchange server is not set up to serve a
webinterface so it's not really an option using evolution.

So what I need is an actual exchange-client that'll communicate with the
exchange server, and from its point of view appear to be nothing other
than MS Outlook. Obvioulsy Evolution is not the choice(?), so I was
wondering if I can mess around with some kolab-software (or maybe just
kontact) and get what I want. Or maybe you know of a completely other
option?

Lasse Riis