Read access on calendar folders and kontact

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Mon Nov 14 13:43:00 CET 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 10:24:39AM +0100, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. November 2005 17:01 schrieb T. Ribbrock:

> > One of the requirements is that one can read other folks' calendars -
> > i.e., not only "free/busy", but the actual entries.
>
> This is possible via calendar folder ACLs.

I.e. the ones one can set via the "Properties" tag of a folder in
kontact, right? I got that one right, then... ;-)

[...]
> >   part is possible. However, if I do so, all people with read access can
> >   read *all* appointments, even if I have marked them "private" or
> >   "confidential" in korganizer - why?
>
> This private marking is some OL heritage and not really useful. I wish KO
> would not have it.

Agreed - if we're going to roll out this solution I just *know* that
this will cause me trouble, no matter how well I write it down in some
help doc... :-/ At least I know now that it doesn't have any function.

> Instead tell people to use another calendar folder with different access
> permissions for private appointments.

Hm - that's an option, of course. I have to look into how this affects
the whole "free/busy" thing (as the private appointments might need to
show up as "busy" as well).

> > - Is there another way to selectively mark appointments as non-readable
> >   in a calendar that is otherwise accessible to others?
>
> No this is not reasonable possible as access is controlled per calendar not
> per appointment.

Ok, thanks. Pity, though - I find this approach a tad more "intuitive"
than the two (or more) calendar approach. But it's not a showstopper, I
think.

> > - Every user that gives read access to others shows up in their
> >   ressource lists - which can result in immense clutter. Is there a way
> >   to control this? Unsubscribing from that folder
>
> Unsubscribing should help. Otherwise file a bug report.

I'll check that. I'm running tests this week anyway.

> > - Is there a way to make all calendars readable by everyone by default?
>
> Use a script which sets this default ACL.

Just so I understand this correctly: That would involve some
script-magic on the server using cyradm or suchlike, right?

In any case: Thanks for the response!

Cheerio,

Thomas