Read access on calendar folders and kontact

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Wed Nov 9 17:01:59 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm still in the process of evaluating kolab for our company. Hence, I'm
trying to work through my list of what is expected - which results in
questions... :-) One of them is:

One of the requirements is that one can read other folks' calendars -
i.e., not only "free/busy", but the actual entries. There might even be
a requirement that this is possible per default, but that hasn't been
decided yet. I've been experimenting with that on my test setup (kolab 2.0.1
as backend with kontact from SuSE 10.0).

- I've found that you can give somebody else read access to your calendar
  by modifying the permissions of the calendar folder in kmail, so that
  part is possible. However, if I do so, all people with read access can
  read *all* appointments, even if I have marked them "private" or
  "confidential" in korganizer - why?
- Is there another way to selectively mark appointments as non-readable
  in a calendar that is otherwise accessible to others?
- Every user that gives read access to others shows up in their
  ressource lists - which can result in immense clutter. Is there a way
  to control this? Unsubscribing from that folder or changeing it to
  "Mail" doesn't seem to help...
- Is there a way to make all calendars readable by everyone by default?

Ok, that's been a bunch... Any insight is appreciated! :-)

Cheerio,

Thomas