Re: Kontact in KDE 3.3 vs in 3.4 [auf Viren überprüft]

Hans Moser hans.moser at ofd-sth.niedersachsen.de
Tue May 31 16:51:57 CEST 2005

Andreas Gungl schrieb das Folgende am 31.05.2005 16:22:

> You're joking, right? If you seriously consider compiling on your own, where
> is the difference to let Suse do the build for you?
When I say "I have to compile", I mean, I have to pay someone to support
me, what I want. :-)
So I have to find out for what I have to pay. Whole KDE or just KDEPIM?

> Well, if you plan to do your own RPMs to roll them out to your desktops,
> that's another way. I for myself have been running the newest Suse RPMs for
> some years now (on different Suse versions). There haven't been any serious
> problem. I even can't remember the minor ones, except that you should take
> some care when installing new RPMs (try it on a test machine before messing
> up your configuration). But this depends a bit on your settings, e.g. if
> you stay with the standard look&feel provided by Suse, etc.
> Hell, I even switch to tarballs if I urgently need a new feature. KDEPIM is
> pretty stable, but I certainly don't want to recommend you to use
> development sources.
My background is >10k users BTW...
If KDE is rolled out, it's done for the next 2 years. And it is heavily
customized.

> Believe it or not, the best choice is running KDE 3.4.1 once it is out in
> the next days.
I believe you. If I only have to install it own machine, but there are
so much dependencies here. I.e. Applications only certified for SuSE 9.2
including its KDE version vs. plans to use Kolab2 with Kontact (which
could mean KDE 3.4.1) vs. ...

Hans