OpenLDAP performance issues

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun May 15 19:16:56 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2005 09:16 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:

Hi Dieter,

> > I can imagine how these suboptimal config options can hurt the
> > performance but I fail to see why OpenLDAP or the db is hanging under
> > high load with these settings.
>
> Running out of i/o's and small thread pool are some possible reasons. See
> options sockbuf and threads in slapd.conf(5)

Is this really documented behavior of OpenLDAP that in case it runs out of
resources like i/o's and the thread pool it starts to hang instead of
reacting with both warning/error logs and degrades performances??

> > To me this definitly looks like a bug in OpenLDAP or the underlying db!
> > How can the write synchronization be disabled?
>
> It is an configurable option in slapd.conf (dbnosync) and DB_CONFIG
> set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC.

What is the default? Are you suggesting a change to the current settings in
CVS?

In case please provide a patch I will happily apply as I start to be really
confused about OpenLDAP and its run time behavior. Actually I start to doubt
if OpenLDAP is the right choice for larger installations.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany