Kolab2 architecture/format flaws

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun May 15 10:24:40 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 13. Mai 2005 08:18 schrieb Stephan Buys:

Hi,

> My suggestion at the time (somewhere in 2003) was that we create some
> special headers to give loading hints to the event entries:

> This way a client can go and and ask for all entries for a specific day.
> For workweek, or month views the IMAP search can just be expanded to
> include all the iterations of the different dates.

You are still trying to "abuse" the IMAP store like a relational database.

IMHO the only long term fix is that the webclient starts to build up the
required mappings in the php session or in an external file. IMHO going with
the php session is the easiest and the most efficient. Later you can
optimized and make the php session persistent on disk though the actual
client code shall only know about the mappings in the session.

> I know Cyrus IMAPd is supposed to be able to index/cache headers so maybe
> this small change could make a big difference?

This could help/hide the problem partially while putting load on the server
and the problem will reappear latter.

BTW I don't understand we you don't like the proposed solution. Can you please
explain why it is so difficult?

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany