Kolab 2 live CD

Joerg Weissleder joerg.weissleder at konsec.com
Tue Jun 28 13:52:26 CEST 2005

Hi there,

KONSEC created a Kolab 2 Live CD for demo purposes.

Technically it is based on Knoppix 3.8.1. This CD allows for easy
testing of a Kolab Server and currently comes accompanied with the
KONSEC Konnektor and KDE Kontact from KDE 3.4.1.

The KONSEC Kolab 2 Live CD only requires a working DHCP server which
offers an IP, a suitable hostname and a correct domain name. The Kolab 2
server is then bootstrapped and the installation is prepared with some
test accounts automatically.

A first version of this KONSEC Kolab 2 Live CD is available from

        http://www.konsec.com/en/downloads/

After talking to Bernhard at Linuxtag in Karlruhe, Germany we came to
the conclusion that such a Live CD is beneficial to the Kolab community
as a whole.

We therefore agreed upon that it is a good move to turn the KONSEC Kolab
Live CD into a Kolab community project.
This implies that we try to include as many Kolab 2 clients as
reasonably possible including the Toltec Connector provided that the
owners agree with.

Perhaps Knoppix is not 100% suitable for such a CD. If anyone has a
better plan we would be happy to receive feedback.

One major issue is to bootstrap Kontact. We currently only bootstrap
Kolab, so the user has to set up Kontact manually; thats difficult and
fault-prone.

Greetings,

Jörg

--
KONSEC  GmbH    | Jörg  Weißleder | T: 0711-253838-0
Wollgrasweg  27 | Geschäftsführer | F: 0711-253838-25
70599 Stuttgart | www.konsec.com  | M: jw at konsec.com