Kolab-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 22

Giovanni Baroni baroni at datacomm.ch
Sat Jun 18 13:27:41 CEST 2005

Hello John
I thought first the same like you.
Actually i changed my mind and see it as a big advantage:
Develepers are more efficient cause of a isolatet unique environment who
runs on most plattforms.
I also seldom saw sharing config files and stuff from the packages,
cause the most are using their defaults.

I like the idea to isolate E-Mail and Groupware Services from the rest.

Actually im building a ServerSolution with an integrated Groupware for
some nonprofit organisations.
I really like to have seperate apache2, Ldap, FTP, php ....  services
running on the same system.
With this setup  im free to handle the packetmanagement and Updates. I
haven't to mix the configfiles together.
Im not limited to use the standart Services from kolab.
For me a big time saver.

a little disadvantage is that it doesnt can profit from a fast security
packet-updatemanagement like debian has.

Regards
Giovanni
http://www.activmedia.ch