Server 2.0-rc2 released/ advisory for rc1 and rc2

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jun 1 09:43:46 CEST 2005

Hi Nils,

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 02:27, valentin_nils at be-known-online.com wrote:
> just a quick question (NOT MEANT to be INTRIGUING in anyway)
>
> Wasnt 2.0 originally planned  to be released in October 2004 in the
> schedules  or did I mistake that ?

the schedule for the Proko2 contract was end of 2004 and we kept it.
Kolab is running fine for our Proko2 customer(s). We have of course
fixed a couple of bugs and added some features for them since that.

The Proko2 contract was the main driving force behind Kolab2, but
Kolab is a community project where the companies of Proko2 are a participating
among others. The rules to release software are different,
because the product shall appeal to a wider public
and thus according to good Free Software practice:
It will be ready when it is ready.
Kolab runs stable and for production in quite a few places now,
but there are setups, where it leaves some things to be desired.
This is mainly what we try to address with the
last server release candidates.

The speed on the project depends on how much people from the community
are contributing.  This is healthy for a Free Software project.

	Bernhard