annotations.db problem - how to address that issue?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jul 22 23:05:39 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 08:42, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> this morning I had a problem with Kolab's imap server. I've found many,
> many times in the logs:
>
> Jul 11 08:12:07 kolab <error> imap[25761]: DBERROR: opening
> /kolab/var/imapd/annotations.db: cyrusdb error Jul 11 08:12:07 kolab
> <error> imap[25761]: Fatal error: can't read annotations file
>
> A quick look in Google didn't tell me how to solve such a situation
> "correctly". As our users were very impatient, I copied a backup of that
> file into place. But I don't think, that there is no way to rebuild that
> information.

Indeed this is an issue, so it is important to keep backup around.
There is something called skiplist.py which you can use to extract
some information from the database, see
http://oss.netfarm.it/python-cyrus.php

But the problem is that cvt_cyrusdb will not convert
it back in many situations, because the flat fileformat cannot
deal with with null bytes as the Cyrus developers recently admitted.
If I would have lost my database then looking into the results
of skiplist.py to get the data that you could use a script to rebuild
the information easily.
Modern imaplib.py s do have a setannotation() getannotation() command,
building a script that reads out or recreates annotations could be fairly easy
to make backups.

Bernhard