kolab2 2.0 + kontact - can't get it to work...

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 13:48:51 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 13:29, Thomas Ribbrock wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:57:05AM +0200, Till Adam wrote:
> > Hm, could you point me to that post, please? Web-archive maybe?
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=suse-linux&m=112063881314671&w=2
>
> According to this, especially "free/busy" is a problem (which in turn
> would pose a problem for me... :-} )

It looks like Dieter has a few things slightly mixed up. Functionality wise
all the features of the proko2 project apart from client side distribution
lists (which were impossible to integrate before 4.0 for compatability
reasons) have been merged in to KDE 3.4. Which means that kdepim from 3.4.0
onwards has all those features, including Kolab2 client functionality. Those
KDE releases have not seen as much QA work as the tightly quality controlled
proko2 branch, which was built on top of KDE 3.2, and works with KDE 3.2 and
3.3 at least, very probably also with KDE 3.4, simply because those releases
were not part of the commercial effort known as proko2 (short for Projekt
Kolab 2, btw, in case you've been wondering ;). This means that especially
the 3.4.0 beta that SuSE 9.3 shipped had some bugs in it's Kolab support and
3.4.1 still might have some, albeit fewer than 3.4.0. We (KDAB, and the
client developers individually, as part of our involvement with KDE) try to
make the mainline KDE Kolab support as problem free as possible, and we do
fix problems if they are reported as quickly and as thoroughly as we can, in
the time that is available to us.

> > > Nor does freebusy work if I
> > > try to watch that on the second workstation or directly via
> > > URL/browser.
> >
> > Freebusy lists are created on the server, from the contents of the
> > folders there. So once you have synced up your events (checked mail) the
> > server will generate the fb lists from that and they will be available
> > automatically, at the urls specified in the documentation.
>
> Right. Then I might have misunderstood the troubleshoot document:
> http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/raw-howtos/freebusy-troubles
>hooting.txt
>
> <quote>
> You should also see the triggering of the free/busy list generation.
> The triggering is done with http requests to a certain URL and looks
> like this in the log:
>
>   client.domain - user2 [20/May/2005:14:20:28 +0200] "GET
> /freebusy/trigger/user2/Calendar.pfb HTTP/1.1" 200 519 </quote>
>
> I always thought that kontact/korganizer/kmail were supposed to call the
> URL.

Oh, sure. Sorry about that. I didn't realize the "only imap traffic" was
related to the fb trigger, I thought you were looking for some traffic from
KOrganizer uploading events. You are right, fb generation is triggered at the
end of the sync process via a GET request to that magic urls.

> The one thing that wasn't entirely clear to me was that "downloading
> mail" is also syncing the calendar. Hm. That might require some teaching
> should we decide to go with kolab... I find that choice a bit
> unfortunate, as for a "standard user" those two actions are completely
> unrelated...

Well, that's a side effect of implementing the data store in KMail. It has a
few advantages, though, such as there being only one global sync process, for
example, which reduces the risk of forgetting to sync, say, the addressbook,
when one goes on a business trip.

> > I really wonder why running the side by side once made a difference. Can
> > you confirm that it works without problems now both standalone and in
> > Kontact?
>
> I just did. I also ran them separately on my second test workstation
> (for a second testuser) just now - same result. It magically works.
>
> And, even better: Now that I've done that on both machines, with two
> users, for the first time I can make a group appointment and see the
> correct free/busy data for the second participant. YES! Admittedly, I
> HATE it when solutions are that vague, but at least I'm finally seeing
> some progress...

Good. We wouldn't want you to be frustrated when Kolab and Kontact can be so
much fun. :)

> > I'll try to reproduce with a new user and Suse's rpms, then.
>
> If I find a bit of time tonight or on Friday, I'll do the same. By now,
> I've built my own test-setup at home as well, so I get a chance to do
> this once more.

That would be much appreciated, we'll do the same, as soon as there's a bit of
time.

Till