kolab2 2.0 + kontact - can't get it to work...

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 11:57:05 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:03, Thomas Ribbrock wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:32:41AM +0200, Till Adam wrote:
> > We'll get you sorted, don't worry. :)
>
> That's great - I do appreciate your help! Especially, as I'm thoroughly
> confused after a mail on suse-linux, where someone stated that kontact
> in KDE 3.4.1 does not yet have the functionality needed for kolab2
> (contrary to what the kolab website says...). %-}

Hm, could you point me to that post, please? Web-archive maybe?

[snip]

> > > Actually: No. It just accepts the event without asking for a folder
> > > when I click "OK".
> >
> > Ok. That's very wrong. Can you please try using KMail and KOrganizer
> > standalone (both started from the same konsole, please, so you see the
> > output, not using the menu or alt-f2), in case you are using Kontact so
> > far, and Kontact, also started from a konsole, in case you are so far
> > using standalone apps?
>
> Ok. I'm running them side-by-side from the command line now.
> Well, this is interesting: Now that I have re-opened korganizer, the four
> "extra" subfolders have vanished...

Ok.

> Right. And *now* I also get asked to which folder I want to save the
> event... Choosing the subfolder... Ok, *now* a message shows up in
> kmail. Odd. And just to verify it, I closed kmail and korganizer down
> again and started kontact from the menu as I had previously. *Now* that
> works, too: I get asked to which folder I want to store the event and the
> message shows up.

Hm.

> Still no server communication except for IMAP traffic, though
> (I have a tcpdump session running on that).

that's normal, as there is none. The events are stored as mails and
transported via imap on sync (mail check).

> Nor does freebusy work if I
> try to watch that on the second workstation or directly via URL/browser.

Freebusy lists are created on the server, from the contents of the folders
there. So once you have synced up your events (checked mail) the server will
generate the fb lists from that and they will be available automatically, at
the urls specified in the documentation.

> BTW: In the kmail konsole, the only message I see is:
>
> QWidget::setMaximumSize: (unnamed/RecipientComboBox) The largest allowed
> size is (32767,32767)
>
> In the korganizer konsole, I see:
>
> korganizer: WARNING: LockNull::lock() force success. Doesn't actually
> lock.
> korganizer: ERROR: Can't decrement change count. It already is 0.
> [...several times...]

Ok, apparently the rpms you use were built without debugging, so there isn't
any usefull output. Pity, but not a problem for you.

> > Can you please send me the kmailrc for that user, assuming
> > it's a test user. Anonymized, if it's a real one?
> > (~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc)
>
> Attached. Only testusers here... ;-)

Hm, looks completely normal.

I really wonder why running the side by side once made a difference. Can you
confirm that it works without problems now both standalone and in Kontact?
I'll try to reproduce with a new user and Suse's rpms, then.

Cheers,

Till