postfix rejects messages

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 13:45:59 CET 2005

Stefan wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> This question is a little bit special :-)
>
> The kolab2-server is my internal mail-server and its relay is another machine
> in our DMZ.
> Now I want to send and receive mails with my fine SE P900 (handy). For
> security reasons, I want to do this via our DMZ-Mail-Server. On the P900 I
> use the same mail address as with kontact, because I don't want to confuse
> the receipient with to many mail addresses. I get this working so far, but
> when I try to send a mail to an internal (kolab) mail address, kolab rejects
> the mail coming from the DMZ-Mail-Server (Invalid Sender).
> Certainly, this behavior of kolab is no bug, but is there a way to get kolab
> accepting this mails??

I do not think there is an easy way to send FROM an internal user TO an
internal user with this situation:

Case 1:
You add the dmz server in $mynetworks on your kolab server's main.cf,
allowing it to send mail as an internal user (this will work perfectly,
and you will send mail from your handy as an internal user). Joe Spammer
discovers this, and suddenly you are sending 10000000 messages per day,
next your mail is rejected all over the place because you are on a rbl
or other spam blacklist.

Case 2:
You use authenticated smtp somehow, to pass your message to the kolab
server, and then back out again.

Case 3:
You just send your message from the kolab server - easy!

Hope that helps,