AW: Kolab eating memory & CPU

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sun Jan 23 17:53:52 CET 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 11:16 am, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005 16:59 schrieb Jim Philips:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Jan 23 08:57:43 localhost <debug> master[21499]: process 11611 exited,
> > status 75
> >
> > From misc.log, I see this over and over again:
> >
> > Jan 23 08:57:43 localhost <error> imap[11613]: DBERROR:
> > reading /kolab/var/imapd/db/skipstamp, assuming the worst: (2) No such
> > file or directory
>
> Something is wrong with your installation. Did you run the "kolab_bootrap
> -b" successfully.

Yes. It completed. No problems

> Please also check /kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.conf does it look reasonable?

To the extent that I know "reasonable" it looks fine.

> What is the value of configdirectory: in imapd.conf?

configdirectory:        /kolab/var/imapd

> Did you install from source or binary packages?

From source.

> Which OS are you using?

I'm using Slackware 10. This was a problem originally, because Openpkg didn't
understand where Slackware gets its inits from. But I got in touch with
Openpkg developers and they quickly provided a solution. So, I think this is
relatively new territory. At first Apache wouldn't start under Kolab, because
user was set to root. I changed this value to user: nobody, group: nobody.
Then I got blank pages, so I changed the user and group for PHP includes
accordingly. After that, I was able to go to the admin page and set things
up. But the CPU usage was terrible. The problem seems to be that it is
starting imapd as the wrong user. Imapd then dies and tries to respawn ad
infinitum, leading to high CPU usage and enormous logs.