About CalDAV

Helge Hess helge.hess at opengroupware.org
Fri Jan 21 21:06:40 CET 2005

On 14. Jan 2005, at 11:35 Uhr, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Note that if you count all the Free Software groupware solutions,
> many web-based solutions will not use iCalendar internally,

Actually almost none uses iCalendar internally.

> AFAIC the exchange4linux server also does not uses a database.

What does "AFAIC" stand for? E4L stores all its data in a PostgreSQL
database.

> From understanding your explanation opengroupware uses
> a database, but additionally saves iCalendar, is this half based
> on iCalendar internally?

(Regular) OGo does not use iCalendar internally. It composes/decomposes
iCalendar to database records on the fly.
Another server called SOGo (Scalable OGo) will soon be released which
actually stores iCalendar in the database at the cost of functionality
(in favor of raw scalability).

iCalendar was not choosen because its well supported by servers but
because its the basis in all opensource clients and therefore requires
minimum work in those.

>>> and none of them has taken a huge international market share for
>>> larger installations.
>>> Kolab has the potential to grab a larger share,
>>> not in spite of but because of our XML storage format!
>> Good look! At least you have a very good reference client ;-)
> Other reason could be that they do not scale that well and to not
> offer a good Outlook connectivity.  Kolab addresses both.

No offense, but is there any actual Kolab user which has more than 500
seats doing calendaring on a single server? I think not.
On the other side there are loads of installations of OGo or even
PHPGroupware which are well above some thousands of user. And neither
of them is build for raw scalability.

So maybe you are optimizing for a problem which doesn't exist? ;-)
[just joking ;-]

Greets,
   Helge
--