Unable to write event resource not writable in Kolab 2 - cant write calendar but email and tasks work

will.taylor at erataylorrealty.com will.taylor at erataylorrealty.com
Sun Jan 9 17:17:46 CET 2005

> On Friday 07 January 2005 22:07, will.taylor at erataylorrealty.com wrote:
>> I just installed the current development version of kolab 2. I added the
>> nis.shema and am using it for centralized unix logins!
>
> This refers to the kolab server I presume.
> Beta1 is the last release we have made, so are you using a CVS
> version of the server?
>
>> My problem is when I set up kontact according to the readme.kolab that
>> came with the cvs version of kdepim I can get my e-mail, but I cant add
>> any events or to dos or any of the other groupware capabilities.
>
> The recommended version of KDE to act as a Kolab client
> is based on KDE_3_3_BRANCH with proko2_branch from CVS.
> Are you using this?
> Can you point me to the readme.kolab in CVS that you have used?
>
>> The thing is I had that working when I was using the beta tree of
>> kolab2.
>
> This seems to refer to the KDE client:
> Which version are you using now?
>
>> I have heard that there was a bug in the wedadmin interface that would
>> erase the new posixaccount objectclass I added each time, so I dont want
>> to downgrade back to the beta version. (I didnt test ldap logins with
>> the
>> beta version)
>
> This is server again, as the beta1 is the latest version you
> could only upgrade to it. It would be interesting for us to know
> if there is a bug like this in beta1, because then we can fix it.
>
>> I am so close to my dream of open source groupware w/ centralized logins
>> am so angry that I can't add events.
>>
>> I have gone over the configuration so many times, and tried kolabwizard
>> and manually according to readme.kolab.
>
> Check what resources are configured in kcontrol -> KDE Resources and then
> in
> the tab for events.
>
>> Also I have installed kdepim cvs by rpm that I made with check install.
>> It
>> conflicted with 4 files from kdebase but I got it to work with the
>> --force
>> option. Is that a bad idea? Anyone know of any professionally packaged
>> rpms for fedora core 3?
>
> I have not heard of KDE Kolab2 client packages for fc3 yet.
>
>> Thank you so much, I am keeping notes and am going to write a howto to
>> help others once I have gotten it all worked out. It is to transfer a
>> real
>> estate office completely over to open source from M$, server and
>> desktops.
>
> Thanks, this is much appreciated.
> Note: There is also a wiki you can add you information into.
>

> On Friday 07 January 2005 22:07, will.taylor at erataylorrealty.com wrote:
>> I just installed the current development version of kolab 2. I added the
>> nis.shema and am using it for centralized unix logins!
>
> This refers to the kolab server I presume.
> Beta1 is the last release we have made, so are you using a CVS
> version of the server?

> [...]

I fixed my original problem which was not being able to save tasks, notes
or anything--the readme.kolab says to add imap server here is the
selection: "Start KDE Control Center and go to KDE Components, page KDE
   Resources Configuration. Choose the calendar resource. Add an
   IMAP resource and set it to standard."

It needs to say add kolab resource, not imap resource which is a different
option. When I had imap resource it would say unable to save event. When I
had the beta of kolab2 installed it worked as an imap resource (I mean
beta vs development which seems to be how it is organized on the
ftp.kolab.org server)

I ditched the kdepim rpm I made with checkinstall and compiled my own kde
with konstruct-unstable, and now I have groupware functionality (storing
email, tasks, and contacts on the imap server) except for calendar
information! I will give the error it gives and the readme.kolab is
attached after I give you a brief, detailed overview of what I have done:

OBJECTIVE: Small office (10-20) users network. Groupware service, and
centralized logins so that each kolab user is also a unix user with his
home directory on the server so settings follow whichever computer he is
on.

Server Setup:
http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/development/current/sources/
Installed that on fedora core 3 - works great
Added users
added nis.schema to slapd.conf
added posixaccount objectclass and login info to each user using GQ

Client Setup:
Used Konstruct-unstable to compile current kde environment and kdepim
using command cd meta/kdepim-crypto (wow thats easy) Finishes succesfully.
(Question: Is this the Proko2 branch of kdepim I need?)
In Kontact I added a disconnected IMAP server for receiving and an SMTP
server for sending. Also added kolab resources in kontrol center.  Todos,
contacts, e-mails work but not calendar. When I add an event it shows up
in the calendar and there is a libkcal file in the calendar folder on the
IMAP server in kmail but when I go to check mail on the server to sync it
I get this error message:

Error while uploading folder
Could not make the folder Calendar on the server.
This could be because you do not have permission to do this, or because
the folder is already present on the server; the error message from the
server communication is here:
Could Not Create Folder
An attempt to create the requested folder failed.
Details of the request:
Date and time: Sunday 09 January 2005 10:59 am
Additional information:
imap://will.taylor@server.erataylorrealty.com:143/INBOX/Calendar
Possible causes:
Your access permissions may be inadequate to perform the requested
operation on this resource.
The location where the folder was to be created may not exist.
A protocol error or incompatibility may have occurred.
Possible solutions:
Retry the request.
Check your access permissions on this resource.

Any ideas? I am so close, except I can not add calendar info to the server.

Thank you!