IMAP refusals

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 23 16:15:51 CET 2005

Hi Charles,

On Sunday 20 February 2005 20:35, UK Linux wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion of tailing the imap log. This is what i got when
> i did that:
>
> http://proteanit.solohelp.com/tmp/misc-18-02-05.log

Hmm nothing in there that really inspires me.

> My general pattern is to create a new user, basing the uid on a timestamp.
> Perhaps i should try to tie my attempts at various actions more closely
> with various logs by attempting action x at time y so that it's more
> traceable? Anyway, my pattern is normally to create the user as i
> mentioned, then login via the web interface as that user (works),

When the user can log into the webadmin interface, it means
it was created in openldap.

>  then try
> to login to imap from a client using those credentials (doesn't work). I
> *didn't* follow your suggestion of telnetting to various ports since it
> seems that imap is working according to the log, but maybe there are other
> reasons behind your suggestions?

The log only shows connections from localhost.
It might be that a firewall is behind your imap client and the working imap server.

So trying the telnet to the imap or imaps ports usually is a good idea
to rule out firewall problems.

> On an unrelated matter, thank you all for your public-spiritedness for
> refraining from conversing in German. Although in theory i know this
> language, it would give me an additional strain i can do without ;-)

You are more than welcome.
(And I hope our English is not so bad that you get reminded that many
people here are Germans. ;-) )

Bernhard