bounces to root

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Sun Dec 18 21:08:26 CET 2005

Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2005 17:07 schrieb Raphael Langerhorst:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 11:22 Raphael Langerhorst wrote:

Note that currently a Kolab Server will not allow empty return path
from some users as used by MDNs. This is a known bug.
If the email comes from a trusted server, it should still work.

> > > we are using Kolab2 2.0.1 (with first security update) on FreeBSD
> > > 5.4/i386

> > The Problem:
> > FreeBSD by default sends out report emails for daily/weekly/... cron job
> > results. These emails are, according to /etc/aliases sent to the user
> > "root". Since Kolab2 is running an SMTP server on port 25, this SMTP
> > server is used.

Which is fine in principle as the MTA of the Kolab Server should be your
primary MTA on your system.

> > And because Kolab2 (this one here at least) has
> > configured a smart/relayhost the email ends up being sent to that
> > smart/relayhost because kolab2 does not detect the domain to be its own -
> > since the host name itself (kolab) is as well included.
> >
> > The solution:
> > rather simple, just edit /etc/aliases and set a reasonable alias for the
> > root user (first alias, commented out by default). After that, you have
> > to run /usr/bin/newaliases  (NOT /kolab/sbin/newaliases)
> >
> > It might take a couple of minutes (or even half an hour) until all
> > changes have taken effect (for example if leftover mails with a wrong
> > header are still around).
>
> Well, almost. Apparently root at kolab.my.domain still got sent... so the
> simple and save solution was to move /usr/sbin/sendmail out of the way. I
> would be interested in a cleaner solution though.

From your posts I do not have a complete picture,
but if the sender was empty, why not add a real sender that would
be the contact person for this daemon or service?

Bernhard