List reply-to (was: Fwd: Re: transferring build)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Tue Dec 6 17:31:51 CET 2005

As it seems Martin as unsubscribed from the kolab-users list.

Background:
Martin wants the mailing list to set the reply-to to the list,
he claims that this way, he is getting less personal resonses to
list posts and that other people will more likely answer to the list, too.

Other participants on the list (like me or Thomas AH) do not like
mangling the reply-to in this way, as
* posters will loose the ability to set a path for personal replies
* it makes it slightly more difficult to answer personally when hitting return

I do not consider a non-set reply-to as a problem for Martin,
as he can set the reply-to header to the list for his emails
and to not get personal replies.
Also I hope to educate people with real email clients to be careful
enough to send replies to the list and only to the person,
if they choose to.

When we set up a mailing list at Intevation,
we use the strongly recommended way of running Mailman:
This is to not force the reply-to to the list.

Some of the arguments are summarized here:
Another one in the other direction was here (but I cannot access it today):
http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

Am Freitag, 2. Dezember 2005 17:19 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Am Dienstag, 29. November 2005 10:51 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > As I wrote multiple times before:
> > I will change it, if a significant majority is in favour of this change.
>
> I am not going to discuss this.
>
> Just the plain fact that intevation is hosting the ml does not mean that I
> am willing to discuss the _very_ same topic over and over again for every
> kolab ml.

The list is there for the active participants,
my way for others lists was to ask the users
and if a significant number of users is in favour of a certain policy,
change the policy, even if others dislike it.

I can think of no other good way to come to a solution,
so if Martin does not like the main policy for a list,
I cannot force him to stay.