is disconnected imap mandatory?

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Fri Aug 12 09:44:11 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 21:46 schrieb Timo Springmann:
> On Donnerstag August 11 2005 17:01, Martin Konold wrote:
> > IMHO at some point in the future dIMAP and online imap kioslaves should
> > be merged.

Sponsoring could help to make that happen earlier. ;-)
Online IMAP had worked some time ago. It's only a question of development
capacity than technical possibility.
Of course, Martin already knows that. I just mention it for the other
readers on the list.

> Disconnected imap shouldn't slow down the computer before online imap get
> superfluous. Dimap is nearly unusable in a LAN environment where you want
> you client to check for mail every 5 minutes. I heard it's better on
> (slow) dialup connections (never tried).

You can select a folder and press F5 to sync' only that single folder.
Ctrl+L sync's all folders, which can take a bit longer.

Another proposal (may have been mentioned on this list already):
Define two accounts - one online IMAP and one offline IMAP.

Subscribe the resource folders and show only subscribed folders in offline
IMAP. That's the Kolab resource management part. You can have automatic
mail checks every five minutes for that account.
Use the other account with online IMAP for your mail folders as usual.

Regards,
Andreas