migrating to and from Samsung Contact and Exchange?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Sep 28 23:51:27 CEST 2004

Am Dienstag, 28. September 2004 23:11 schrieb Jeremy C. Reed:

> > Basically you can use extra Tools, the Outlook Connector or IMAP to
> > migrate the stuff.
>
> This sounds useful. Where can I find the documentation for these "extra
> Tools"?
>
> > The strategy to be employed pretty much depends on the actual
> > installation.

Version 1.0.0
The latest version of this file can be downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdepimpi/
Please choose there package/project/file:
general Files for KDE/Pim
MigrationHowTo_OL2KDE
MigrationHowTo_OL2Kolab.txt.zip

This HowTo describes the process of migrating data
( emails, contacts and calendar data )
from Outlook 98/200X (TM) to a Kolab server.
We will call Outlook as OL in this document.
You will need an IMAP server for migrating emails.
The Kolab server is an IMAP server.
We will describe how the PIM data  ( contact and calendar data )
of OL can be migrated using the Toltec (TM) connector.
Migration of the OL contact and calendar data to KDE
(and using the Kolab server from KDE with the KDE Groupware client Kontact)
can be done without using the Toltec Outlook connector.
It can be done by using migration tools.
You can found the HowTo using the migration tools on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdepimpi/
Please choose there package/project/file:
general Files for KDE/Pim
MigrationHowTo_OL2KDE
MigrationHowTo_OL2KDE.txt.zip

Content:

1) How to start
2) How to import pst files in Outlook
3) Choose the migration strategie
4) How to copy the contact data in OL to the Kolab server.
5) How to copy the calendar data in OL to the Kolab server.
6) How to copy the email in OL to the Kolab server.

1) How to start

For the migration we need the actual OL data, which Outlook stores in *.pst
files.
Then we need an installed version of OL to access these  *.pst files.

We assume, that we have an OL version installed that manages emails, contacts
and calendar data.

If you have no OL installed please install the Outlook version, you need to a
import your *.pst files.
If you have an OL installed with no email/contact/calendar data available, and
you have some  *.pst files please continue with: 2) How to import pst files
in Outlook.
If you have a running Outlook200X already with contact/calendar data
available,
please continue with: 3) Choose the migration strategie.

2) How to import pst files in Outlook

To open a local *.pst file in Outlook2003, choose menu:
File - Open - Outlook Data File ...
Now the data included in this file is shown
as folders of a newly added root folder in the Outlook folder view.
This root folder is probably not accessable from
the migration tools via OLE.
To access data stored in one of the subfolders,
copy this subfolder to a root folder,
which can be accessed from the migration tools via OLE.
(To know, which folder can be accessed, just perform 5.) or 6.) until
you get the Oulook import dialog!)

To copy it, right click on that subfolder and choose
Copy "<subfoldername>"...
in the popup menu.

3) Choose the migration strategie

We assume, that we have an OL version installed that manages emails, contact
and calendar data.

The goal is it to get the emails, contacts and calendar data of OL on a Kolab
server.

After having the data on the Kolab server, we have two choices:

(A) Accessing the server from KDE with the KDE-Kolab Client Kontact.
(B) Accessing the server from Windows XP Outlook 2003 with Toltec Connector.

Such that do have two strategies for the migration:

 (i)
 Use the Toltec Connector for migrating the contact
 and calendar data.
 Moving the email in OL to the Kolab server.

 This can be used for (A) and (B).
 Doing this for (A)  might involve installing
 the Toltec Connector on the source platform
 syncing everything freshly on the Kolab Server and then
 just continue using the KDE client on the new data.

 (ii)
 Use the migration tools for migrating the contact
 and calendar data.
 Moving the email in OL to the Kolab server.

 Doing this for (A), there is no need to install the
 Toltec Connector on the source platform.

   ***  Choosing  (A) and (ii)

If you choose (A) and (ii), please read
6) How to copy the email in OL to the Kolab server.
You can found the HowTo using the migration tools on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdepimpi/
Please choose there package/project/file:
general Files for KDE/Pim
MigrationHowTo_OL2KDE
MigrationHowTo_OL2KDE.txt.zip

    *** Choosing (B) and (i) or
   (A) and (i)

If you choose (B) and (i) or if you choose (A) and (i),
please upgrade to QL XP and install the
Toltec Connector. After that, please read
4) How to copy the contact data in OL to the Kolab server.
5) How to copy the calendar data in OL to the Kolab server.
6) How to copy the email in OL to the Kolab server.

4) How to copy the contact data in OL to the Kolab server.

We assume that you have the Toltec Connector installed and that
you have configured it to access the Kolab server.

Select the contacts you want to copy.
If you want to select all contacts of a folder,
select the topleft entry, scroll to the right,
hold the SHIFT key down and click on the rightbottom entry.
Now all contact of the folder should be selected.
Now choose
Menu: Edit - Copy to folder.
Choose your destination folder in the Toltec Connector folder and click OK.

After that, sync your Toltec Connector folder with the server.

5) How to copy the calendar data in OL to the Kolab server.

We assume that you have the Toltec Connector installed and that
you have configured it to access the Kolab server.
Select the calendar folder you want to copy to the server.
Right click on it - a popup menu pops up.
Choose "Advanced find" in this menu.
An  "Advanced find" dialog pops up. Fill out nothing in this dialog,
click on the button "Find now".
As the search result, you will get all entries of that folder.
Select now the calendar data, you want to copy.
If you want to select all calendar data of this folder,
select the topmost entry, scroll to the bottom,
hold the SHIFT key down and click on the bottom entry.
Now all contact of the folder should be selected.
Now choose in the "Advanced find" dialog the
Menu: Edit - Copy to folder.
Choose your destination folder in the Toltec Connector folder and click OK.

After that, sync your Toltec Connector folder with the server.

6) How to copy the email in OL to the Kolab server.

Note:
There is no need to have the Toltec Connector installed to move/copy
mails with Outlook to an IMAP server.

We assume that there is already the IMAP account on the Kolab server
configured in OL.
You will see there a folder Inbox. (And maybe other folders).
These folder may contain the subfolders "Calendar", "Tasks", "Journal" and
Notes.
These folders are used by the Kolab Groupware client,
DO NOT COPY ordinary emails to this folders!

If you do not want to copy your emails in the "Inbox",
please create another folder on the server.

Now select your folder with the emails, you want to copy.

Select there the emails, you want to copy.
If you want to select all emails of this folder,
select the topmost entry, scroll to the bottom,
hold the SHIFT key down and click on the bottom entry.
Now all emails of the folder should be selected.
Now choose the
Menu: Edit - Copy to folder.
Choose your destination folder in the IMAP Kolab server account and click on
OK.
After that, sync your IMAP Kolab server account with the server.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de