a few more questions

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Sep 13 08:17:41 CEST 2004

Am Freitag, 10. September 2004 16:14 schrieb Matt Douhan:

Hi,

> On Friday 10 September 2004 05.51, Jean-Michel Dault wrote:
> > However, most ISPs prefer to have a random user instead of an e-mail
> > address, specially after the wave of mergers and acquisitions we have
> > seen. I've started three ISPs, and each time they were bought by a
> > bigger one, or merged. Some of my old customers from the good old days
> > told me they changed e-mail addresses 6 times!
>
> Is the target audience of Kolab ISP's ?

A long term goal is to have all the the features required for an ISP while
still being easy to use in the simple case.

Though I disagree with Jean-Michel on the random uid. IMHO the random uid is a
hack(*) to work around the collision problem while the globally unique uid
(e.g. name at domain style) will not clash in any case.

(*)
- It is not easy to rememer for the users (users need the uid to log on and
also to manage acls--> support load

- From the random uid it cannot be derived to which entity a user belongs

- domain wide hierarchical access control is not possible (With the random uid
all users on a server a equal. E.g. it is not possible to deny interdomain
acls)

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de