a few more questions

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Sep 8 17:53:58 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 02:58, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > Completely separated virtual domain aka multidomain are not supported
> > with the upcoming Kolab2, because it is difficult to handle this within
> > the ldap.

The way I handle it, is to get rid of the @domain part for the uid, and
just use the user. Then create an alias for the user.

I don't understand why kolab insists on having user at domain. It means you
can't use Kolab for pam_ldap, samba, etc.

The only advantage is to be able to have the same user on multiple
domain, but since Kolab doesn't support virtual domains, it's totally
useless.

Besides, what most ISPs do these days is assign a random user, for
example b1i8rug6, which gives 36^8 possibilities (enough for every human
on the planet and their dog) and they let people choose their own e-mail
and possibly aliases.

> Would it be an idea to have a webpage with kolab hacks? If someone can
> tell me how to hack cyrus for this, I will definitely write a page with
> it.

I have rewritten Kolab 1.0 to manage user without an @domain part, and
made it work with Samba and pam_ldap. There will be a lot of work to
port it to Kolab 2.0, but IMHO it's definitely the way to go.

--
Jean-Michel Dault <jmdault at mandrakesoft.com>