cleanups and unique IDs.

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Sep 7 17:52:47 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 14:06, Ira Abramov wrote:
> just starting to play with the server. I'm wondering if I was wrong to
> skip 1 and install 2....
>
> I defined a user Ira Abramov, Email "ira" and UID "ira", assuming the
> Email domain set for the server is the default, but discovered it was
> not the case. mail sent to ira at mydom.com is not delivered and I get a
> bounce.

You need to set the full email in that field.

> I edit the user to change the mail address and discover it is immutable
> (WHY?),

Because other data would be invalidated and the web admin interface
 cannot make that major migration.

> I instead delete the entire user.
>
> After I remove the user I get "Awaiting cleanup" in the list of
> users. I hit reload a few times and seeing that it's not some heavy
> process but maybe some timeout. after a cup of coffee and it's still
> "Awaiting cleanup" I go to check if there is a cron job I should know
> about, but no such luck. a complete restart of the kolab daemons finally
> gets rid of the entry. redefining the user complains that the UID still
> exists even though it;s not on the list anymore, so I redefine it with a
> different UID and it fains since the CN is not unique. Frustrated I go
> back to the Users' list and find it WAS defind, AND with the new Email
> address I requested.

The Kolab2 is in development,
we are still hunting bugs like this.

> did I leave something out here? I am supposed to deliver this system to
> a client, but so far I can't even get through simple user definitions.
> Should I pick Kolab1 instead for stability or are such basic issues also
> affecting the stable release?

Kolab1 is quite different from Kolab2, the reason to wait for Kolab2
are not stability though, but features.