Too much connections : Imap auth fails

Michael Harlaut m.harlaut at atolcd.com
Thu Nov 4 17:35:18 CET 2004

Hi list,

I'm currently working on a fresh Kolab2 install based on the today's current (Up
to date Debian Sarge)

Everything is working nice ... except on one (quite essential) point:

While using only 2 mail client (tested with Outlook, Thunderbird, Aethera and
Horde/IMP) I often have authentification errors from Cyrus.

By looking the imapd logs, I can see this :
kolab <error> imap[32014]: ldap_simple_bind() failed -1 (Can't contact LDAP
server)
kolab <error> imap[32014]: ldap_simple_bind() failed -1 (Can't contact LDAP
server)
kolab <notice> imap[32014]: cannot create socket for saslauthd: Too many open
files
kolab <notice> imap[32014]: badlogin: [192.xxx.xxx.xxx] plaintext
user at domain.tld SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed

A "lsof | grep imap | wc -l" gives me more than 400 files opened (to compare
with the 4 of an "idled system")

By doing a "netstat -taupe" (this is my prefered one :p), I can see more than
700 connections regarding the LDAP server and Cyrus.

These connections needs a LOT of time to disapears, and the only way to kill
them is to restart imap (it does not work by restarting OpenLDAP).

I can reproduce this problem as often as I want only by "stressing" the server
only a little : pressing the "receive" button of the mail client two (four
after a coffee) times a second during 30 seconds is enought.

So ... the question is ... any hint ?

Thanks by advance,

--
Michael Harlaut