Kolab not sending External Mails

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Wed May 12 23:09:02 CEST 2004

Den 12. maj 2004, kl. 13:40, skrev Stephen Hind:

> There has been some developments:
>
> I have changed the E-mail domain of the server to our public IP address
> (I'll use a fake IP - 123.456.789.123 in this mail for illustration
> purposes), so I could try to mail the box directly.
>
> So I sent a mail from another internet email account to
> username at 123.456.789.123 and the Kolab server responded saying it
> failed to
> deliver it due to "Bad Address Syntax".  Obviously the message is
> getting
> through but postfix does not seem to know what to do with it.

did you send to a domain, or the ip address ?

> I have also tried to send mails using these new settings and I now get
> bounced mail when I try to send to an internet email address saying:
> "No
> transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient".

hmm, check postfix.org ?
mail:/kolab/etc/postfix# grep transport *
Makefile:T_TRANSPORT  = transport
main.cf:transport_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/transport
main.cf:mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp
main.cf.old:transport_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/transport
main.cf.old:mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp
postfix-files:$config_directory/transport:f:root:-:644:p
postfix-files:$manpage_directory/man5/transport.5:f:root:-:644
postfix-files:$sample_directory/sample-transport.cf:f:root:-:644

my transport file contains:
nothing. Or everything is commented out. Do you have one?
else, try to make an empty one, and then make it a .db with postmap
transport
maybe write this in it:
yourdomain.com	:
*	smtp:mail.yourisp.com

> The box has a server for DNS lookups.
>
> I have tried fetchmail, but I can't workout where to tell fetchmail to
> send
> the fetched mail.  Is there a socket I send to?  Do I send it to
> username at 123.456.789.123? Or something else?

my /etc/fetchmailrc contains:
set syslog
set postmaster postmaster at yourdomain.com

#set nobouncemail
#set invisible

poll <pop3.example.com>
         proto POP3
         options tracepolls
         user YOURPOP3USER password YOURPOP3PASS is
\YOURKOLABEMAILWITH at DOMAIN here
         options forcecr fetchall

if you want to do multidrop, for more than one user... read the
fetchmail howto

JonB