Unable to Send Mail Using Outlook 2000 outside of our Network

Stephen Hind s.hind at rwp.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 17:51:01 CEST 2004

Some of our users work from home, and we use out Kolab Server as the SMTP
server.  I use it myself, but since I only have MandrakeLinux on the desktop
I use Mozilla to send and receive mail without any problem.

One of our users (and soon more) need to send mail using our server from
home, using their own internet connections.  Obviously this should work if
they provide the username and password, as it works for me.  However this
user uses Outlook 2000 and postfix rejects the message as a " Recipient
address rejected...554".

The only explanation I can see for this is that the authentication is not
working. I have set Outlook to use authentication on the SMTP server, both
with and without Secure Password Authentication, but it does not work still.
Has anyone else got any ideas?

Stephen Hind

IMPORTANT

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and
opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of RWP Training Limited. If
you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering
the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please immediately notify admin at rwp.co.uk

In accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000, RWP Training Limited
reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages sent to and from
this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting any unauthorised
use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.