a few questions

Corey corey_s at qwest.net
Tue Jul 27 20:28:22 CEST 2004

Hello!

I'm new to the list, and have done some general browsing around on the
kolab.org and kroupware.org pages - and I have a few questions.

For one, I'm a little confused concerning the differentiation/split between
the  "kolab" and the "kroupware" projects.  It was my impression that
kroupware was the original commercial project which kolab sprang from, and
that kroupware is now deprecated in lieu of the community kolab effort.

However, the kolab pages keep redirecting to the kroupware site for
documentation and downloads - both of which appear to be outdated. On the
main kroupware.org page, it indicates that kolab 1.0.5 was the last and
latest release, on Aug 16th... almost a year ago. Yet,
http://kroupware.org/howto-kolab.html states:
"You'll find the current (>=1.0.8) Kolab Server source releases at:
www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/".  To confuse matters worse,
the download link takes you to a directory listing, providing
'kolab-server-1.0' rather than 'kolab-server-1.0.x'. Drilling into the src
dir, there's 4 different kolab rpms!  Then after perusing the mailing list
archives, I get clued onto
'ftp.kolab.org/kolab/server/development/current/sources'... but of course
there is no link or explanation regarding these sources anywhere that I can
find on the kolab site... Not to mention the zfos site that apparently also
has repackaged Kolab or something, heck I don't know - I only found out about
that through the gentoo user forums... This is exasperating.

So the problem I see here is a confusing lack of organization and cohesion -
as a curious potential new user, I'm presented with many hurdles,
redirection, and uncertainty. Is there something I'm missing, or is this
truly an accurate assesment of kolab's current situation?

Questions I noted while going through all this - hopefully someone could help
me out and answer them:

Why am I still being directed to the 'kroupware' site, when 'kolab' is the
current community site?

Which _is_ the correct latest, "bestest" source, and where do I get it?

Which is the correct latest, "bestest" documentation, and where do I get it?

Why doesn't the kolab community site host and provide the current
documentation and sources -  in a more intuitive manner? Are there any plans
to correct the situation? Is it merely a matter of a lack of man-power? Where
can I help?

Thanks!

Corey

- --

"Never believe anything until it is officially denied."
  - Claud Cockburn