Running Mandrake 10.0 -> best way to install Kolab?

Scott Newton scottn at ihug.co.nz
Thu Dec 16 05:30:09 CET 2004

On Thursday, 16 December 2004 13:20, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
> Should I keep trying to install Kolab using the kolab rpm that Mandrake
> supplies via its own urpmi repository? I suspect the answer will be no.
> If so any explanation is welcome. Any hint on how to get my current
> non-working installation to work, which is cited and described below is
> even more welcome.

From my own very limited experimenting with Kolab and Mandrake [1] I would
recommend that you uninstall the kolab-server rpm and then make sure that the
kolab user and group is removed before installing Kolab from the source
rpm's. The Kolab install creates it's own kolab user and group (actually
three - kolab, kolab-n and kolab-r).

> Can I run Kolab and the involved services next to already existing
> services like Apache2 on my Mandrake 10.0 box if I install Kolab via the
> obmtool? I noticed that Kolab makes use of Apache 1.3 in OpenPKG for
> example. Will this conflict with my existing Apache2 installation on my
> Mandrake 10.0 box when I try to install Kolab? I also have other systems
> configured and running by using the Mandrake package management. It
> would be nice to keep these if possible. For example, I heavily depend
> on maintaining my current NIS, NFS and Cups installation.

What I did was stopped all the Mandrake services that clashed with Kolab and
then did
ln -s /kolab/var/kolab/www/html /var/www/html

So my existing URL's changed from http://localhost/index.html to
http://localhost/html/index.html.

As I've said though - this is from my very limited experience.

[1] At the moment I'm trying to get the Horde webclient working but I've
stuffed something up in the process :-(

--
Regards
Scott Newton